Monday, March 15, 2010

Day 15: Smooth Skillz


It's Day 15 and the eatin' is GOOD! And since I had a smoothie for breakfast and dessert, I figured it'd be a good time to discuss my mad smoothie skillz.

My goal is to sip one green smoothie per day. Pourquoi? It's a sure fire way to get in my greens, fruit, and omega-3's. I either have one for breakfast or as a snack, and I alternate between 2 variations. And no, it really doesn't taste spinach-y. That's not to say you can't taste the spinach - I definitely know there's something green. But it's not gross, it's yummy! You should try it!

Carolyn's Green Smoothie

- 1 cup of nondairy milk (I typically use soy or rice)
- handful of frozen strawberries & blueberries OR a handful of frozen mango
- 1 frozen banana (this is KEY - blended frozen banana makes for an extra creamy smoothie)
- 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed
- dollop of peanut or almond butter
- a couple handfuls of raw spinach

Blend spinach and splash of milk first. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend. Scrape down the sides. Blend again. Pour into tall glass and feel good that you're drinking your greens!


The other smoothie I can't get enough of is the Cherry Chocolate Bomb Shake. I was inspired by Kristen's version, but mine feels more dessert-y due to the almond milk.

Carolyn's Cherry Chocolate Bomb Shake

- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 frozen banana (again - this is KEY)
- handful of frozen cherries
- 2 tablespoons of hemp powder
- 1-2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder

The directions for this one is pretty easy. BLEND. Pour. Enjoy. With a straw.


I've been keeping a log of all my meals since Day 1 of the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart. It's kind of fun to see what I'm eating. Then again, sometimes it's sad - like the other night when my PMS cravings got crazy, and i had french fries and coke for dinner. Btw I think I have a coke problem and not the white powdered substance kind. I cannot get enough Mexican coke. And very occasionally, Dr. Pepper. HELP! Do I need to do a sugar cleanse??

I haven't had any soda today. Nope, today I had a green smoothie for breakfast, a vegan sandwich and fries at 24 Diner for lunch, and a big plate of leftover baked mexican rice (from here), corn, sliced avocado and sourdough toast (random, I know). And because I have a beautiful bunch of chard in the fridge and gorgeous yukon gold potatoes (from brunch!) in the pantry, I think I'm going to make the Garlic & Greens Soup from The Vegan Table later this week. Accompanied with crunchy homemade croutons, bien sur. You know me, I can't have a meal without carbs. :)

Happy eating, mes amies!!!

6 comments:

  1. Your smoothie skillz are both mad and rad! Thanks for sharing the recipes! The garlic and greens soup is super tasty and makes an appearance on my stove at least once a month. Usually without potatoes though just because I'm lazy and don't want to wait for them to cook. You probably already know this but Colleen has a video of her making it on the compassionatecooks website! Also, I just wanted to congratulate you on your awesomeness on this kickstart, so kudos to you m'lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound really good! I always thought I'd need a Vitamix to blend spinach and such... I've just never tried it, because I'm a goof, I guess.

    I don't think you should worry about soda intake right now... you are already making a huge change to your diet and lifestyle! One thing at a time... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am freezing a banana right now so i can try your cherry chocolate one! i drink a green smoothie every day...with mango :) i cannot wait to try your cherry chocolate one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should keep better track of what I am eating. I've been so lazy and eating a ton of vegan junk - your meals sound WAY better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to ask.... what is Mexican coke?! You have lost me there...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. did you make the Garlic and Greens soup yet? it is sooooo delish :) sorry, i just now finished reading the end of this post bc i was so excited to make your shake i jumped up and ran to put a banana in the fridge! haha. i have had a sore throat for 2 days now so this shake is going to be a perfect lunch today :)

    ReplyDelete