Monday, March 1, 2010

Weekend Eats: Corn & Black Bean Quinoa Tacos, Chocolate PB Cups, Pad Thai & More!

These were super delicious. I was truly surprised that I didn't miss the cheese at all. The filling was yummy quinoa with black beans, corn, jalapeno, and lots of spices, topped with easy guac, chopped cilantro, and spicy salsa. My only complaint? I can't ever get my tortillas tasting as delicious as they do in the restaurants! Any tips? I heated mine in the oven this time and then tried them on a pan, but neither produced the warm, pliable, almost crispy but not slimy/rubbery texture that restaurants provide.



Alicia's chocolate peanut butter cups!! These are as amazing as everyone says! My only complaint is that the chocolate did not easily spread over the peanut butter because the peanut butter mixture was too hot so the chocolate just sank in. Next time I'll wait until the pb mix cools a bit. Either way, they were insanely delicious. 100x better than Reese's!



I made another green smoothie! Spinach, ground flax, peanut butter, soy milk, frozen strawberries & blueberries, and banana.

Vegan-style fast food! I made veggie burgers (used Amy's veggie burger, and I REALLY liked them) topped with organic ketchup, organic mustard, delicious bread & butter pickles, and crisp romaine and oven "fried" tater tots (from Whole Foods). SO GOOD. I'm going be making a lot of my veggie burgers at home now that I've learned that my favorite take-out veggie burger (from P Terry's) is made with cheese. I think I'm going to email the owner about that! It's an Austin chain. :)

Finally, I made pad thai with all kinds of yummy goodness: bok choy, tofu, lots of chopped peanuts, scallions, and cilantro. Unfortunately, it came out AWFUL. It looks good, right? But it was super dry, and the noodles were terrible! I don't think I soaked them long enough or correctly... I don't know. This recipe was loosely based on one my sister gave me ages ago. I managed to eat my plate, but removed all the noodles from the leftovers and plan to eat it with jasmine rice. Rice noodles, why do you hate me?


That's all, folks! I think this is the first weekend in a LONG time that I cooked every single meal. Wow! Also? I lost another pound. I feel awesome!!! Veganism ROCKS!

9 comments:

  1. oh my god you are making me hungry! everything looks absolutely delicious! hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those meals all look fantasic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, where did you get that taco recipe?!? I think I need it! Looks delish!

    My friend's husband (who is Mexican) heats his tortillas over the open flame of their gas stove. It takes skill to not burn your hand off, but they are yummy! His wife cooks hers on a griddle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so hungry right now! chipotle veggie bowl...here i come!

    looks like you did a great job this weekend!! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every-thing looks super yummy! Impressed with your cookery skills....

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Your food looks awesome. I am unfortunately up 3 pounds - my weekend consisted of vegan nachos, vegan pizza and vegan cupcakes. Hah! There were a few veggies in there too (somewhere).

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay - everything looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This all looks so delicious. I really want to try the peanut butter cups (by substituting almond butter). Thank you so much for sharing your delicious adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks so good I think you could possibly turn me into a vegan, which is impressive because I am a red wine with red meat kinda gal.
    If you havent seen this blog already, check it out: http://bunny-bites.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete