Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Garlic & Greens Soup

I'm not a huge St. Patrick's Day person... I don't really care about green beer or pub crawls or whatever else you crazy kids are doing these days. As I got dressed this morning, I realized I don't even have many green clothes! Nope, I celebrated St. Patty's Day my own way - by making Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's Garlic & Greens Soup. This soup is from The Vegan Table and is quite possibly one of the healthiest meals I've ever made (well... minus the croutons hehe). The ingredients? Garlic (an entire HEAD), onion, greens (I used collard greens), water (or veggie stock), rice vinegar, and a few potatoes. I sauteed my garlic and onion in olive oil b/c well, that's just how I roll, but Colleen says you can saute them in water as well (but seriously... who does that??).

I have to admit that I was nervous about this soup. Scarily simple ingredients and lack of color variety kept me skeptical, but the soup was fantastic! Comforting and surprisingly full of flavor. In fact, next time I think I'm going to use 2 bunches of greens instead of 1. As it is, the soup is very broth-y, and I prefer more "stuff" in my soups. Plus adding more greens is always a good thing, n'est ce pas? Per my usual, I fried up a side of homemade croutons (aka just a sliced baguette sauteed in olive oil and sprinkled with salt & pepper). They are extra tasty when dipped in the broth!



Colleen says she believes that soup can be eaten year round, but I have to disagree. Maybe soup's okay in Northern California, but in the middle of a 100+ degree Texas summer? Absolutely not. So I'm going to make this soup as much as possible before it gets too hot!

Now, before I dash, I know it's cruel to talk up a meal and not post the recipe. But I don't think it's legal for me to do so... or maybe it is? I'm a lawyer, I should know this stuff! Ha! Lucky for you, I don't need to find out (legal research was never my forte) because Colleen has a video of herself making the soup ON HER WEBSITE! Click here, dolls (it's the 3rd video down) and enjoy your greens. *muah*


7 comments:

  1. Sounds great!

    Hmmm....I wonder how it would taste cold. I love gazpacho soup on hot Florida days, but it took me a little getting used to because it was a bit like drinking salsa at first. Though, ironically, I've done that, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this soup! it has become one of my favs...and i saute with olive oil to. water? really?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat soup year round (even in 100+ degree weather). I'm a weirdo.

    Can't wait to try this one!

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a simple, green filled soup. Sometimes subtly flavored broth is just the best thing. In fact...I might have to make this for dinner tomorrow night. It looks FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks yummy!! And I LOVE croutons!! Have you ever tried making croutons in the oven? (just coat with olive oil and seasoning and bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes) They are super crunchy and tasty and you can skip the guilt..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes simple is just what we need! Thanks for the idea...today is a cool day and green soup would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been visiting your blog from past 3 months. The style of content flow looks to be marvelous. I would personally recommend our blog visitors to subscribe our posts to obtain useful posts like thisperiodically. Particularly post on Garlic & Greens Soup is awesome. Get in touch with us via our websites Veg Restaurant | Sweet Shop

    ReplyDelete